Thursday, September 1, 2011

Drying Herbs from the Garden...


Dill, Sage, Oregano, and Coriander (Cilantro Seeds) Drying on my twine rack


The potting station by my herb garden, drying the first of the herb winter stash! 
September came with a  lovely chill in the morning air this morning, beckoning my old cotton gray sweater out of the recesses of my closet. I grabbed my green scarf off the hook, and a warm drink in hand I headed to meet a friend at a local community-type garden. After chasing kids around, picking loads of peas, admiring the height of the mint plants gone wild, I decided to sit down with the small herb cottage-style herb garden. The rocks were scattering, so I re-stacked the small wall barrier around it. Began to pick weeds, and "volunteer" herbs that had decided to grow where they were not welcome:) The patch looked fantastic, and inspired me to come home and give my own little herb garden some love...so after a little picky-picky and hand raking it looks fantastic! I even got to bundle up some herbs for drying! I found a simple little article I thought I'd share if you are new to the ancient practice of herb drying for kitchen and medicinal use! http://www.marthastewart.com/270025/dry-your-own-herbs?czone=home/herb-garden/uses-for-herbs

There's tons of great info. on herbal teas, herb infused baths, herb honey, cooking, getting well, and thriving with the wonderful herbs and plants God has given us! Such an fresh and wonderful time of year to see the garden in full bloom, and getting ready to plant bulbs for the spring!!

No comments:

Post a Comment